Thursday, July 15, 2010

DAY 158: Shine a Light

One of the most powerful moments in my life so far has come seemingly out of one of the most mundane actions. A meaningless action that I have done millions of times before from coast to coast without ever really thinking much of it.

I am talking about walking in the door after a long day of work. In the past, my wife was the single bright light that guided me home. I only needed to spot her light dancing across the landscape of my mind and auto pilot engaged. No matter how cluttered my mind got with shadows of doubt or (in)decision from the day her light was a constant warm ray providing calm clarity.

I know what you are thinking and no her light has never been brighter. But this is a blog about Atom so...there is an additional light now that illuminates the crevasses and quagmires of my cranium: Atom's Light. A light that is so new, so fragile, and so powerful it can't be ignored.

I see this light most clearly on those occasions where I walk in the door Zombie-like and his gaze pierces the numbness brought on by the day. His eyes usually sparkle first and then white light bursts from his mouth in the form of laughter or a sly smile.  Suddenly the world around me fills with color. Everything outside our little trinity melts away into a brief oblivion and all is right. (My wife's light is there too and combines with Atom's to produce this brilliant aurora borealis like effect that envelops us all.)

It sounds like a melodramatic scene out of Fantasia (the only thing we are missing is Mickey in his wizard outfit) but it does happen. Poof! I am healed. The tourists walking slow in front of me in Times Square, the pedestrians positioning themselves in front of me at every intersection and the long long trek home seem small compared to this antidote(l) action. I guess it just goes to show you never know what amazing things may be revealed by simply opening a door.

I can't imagine what is going to happen when Atom eventually perfects his army crawl or drunken baby walk. All kids run to meet their parents when they walk in the door, right? Or I am again having Disney flashbacks? Don't worry if I see a dancing Whale in our front yard I will immediately seek medical attention (right after I take a moment to enjoy the show because we all know they dnever last long enough).

2 comments:

  1. It's true, you just never tire of the joy of homecoming. Our Monday-through-Friday-5:30-pm ritual is constantly evolving, and it just gets better and better as Hazel gets older. Currently at 14 months, it looks something like this:

    I take my time turning the key in the lock because if I give the dogs enough time to hear it and start barking, I know that Hazel will be tipped off and will start squealing somewhere inside the house as she anticipates my entry. By the time I swing the door open, she is already running to meet me. She always stops short, however, of actually reaching me, and gives a sly smile before she turns toward her bedroom where she flings herself onto the futon on the floor and yells for me to follow. Gleeful nursing ensues, followed by lots of hugs and exchanged silly faces.

    We're still loving hearing about Atom here. We'll have to send some new pictures of Hazel soon.

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear homecoming doesn't fade. It is just so amazing to see your little one's personality start to come though and when it appears to be full of silly faces and glee nothing can beat it.

    Send the pics!
    -Adam

    ReplyDelete